Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

5.15.2011

Won't voluntarily do that again...

Yesterday, we went to visit my dad, my step-mom, and my two nieces/sisters in Lacey.  (long story...they are my nieces, their mom is worth than useless, so my dad and step-mom fought for custody, and now I guess they could(legally) at least be my sisters),  They are good kids, and my dad and step-mom have sacrificed a lot to give them their best shot at growing up normally.  My dad is retired Navy, and as he approaches 60, should be free to enjoy life...not raising another family...but, he choose to do it, and I salute them for what they are doing.  As much as I appreciate their sacrifice, I will do everything I can to raise my children so that I never have to make the same decision they have. 

Lacey is located in the South Sound, right next to Olympia.  From where we are, you can either head over I-90 through Snoqualmie Pass, or Highway 12, over White Pass.  There is a third choice, but Highway 410 over Chinook Pass(5240 feet) is still closed because there is an estimated 15 feet of snow over the road.  Total accumulation at Chinook Pass was estimated at 700 inches(58 feet!) of snow this season. When heading north of Seattle, to my moms house, Snoqualmie Pass makes the most sense from both a time AND mileage standpoint.  When heading to the South Sound, the difference between any of the three passes is negligible.  Due to some construction planned in I-90, we took White Pass. 

The problem with White Pass is that for all of Highway 12, it is one lane, and a curvy one lane at that.  Which means if you get stuck behind a convoy of Army Humvee's and diesels doing 35mph, there isn't much chance to pass them.  Which also means if you DO get a chance to pass them, and you pretend you are in a German car commercial going down hill on windy mountain roads, there is a good chance one OR both of your daughters might get car sick.  Which finally means you are going to have to pull over to clean your car, letting those Army trucks pass you again. 

Drive there(and the drive back home) aside, it was a nice visit.  The girls recovered from their car sickness to enjoy playing with their aunts/cousins, and had a good time visiting Grammy and Pop-pop.  SWMBO had a chance to do some major home-schooling talk with my Step-Mom, because she home schooled their girls.  We then went out for dinner because it was my step-bothers birthday. 

Then it was time to drive back home.  Usually, when we go to my moms house, we spend the night...but it just wasn't going to work out doing that at my dads house, so, on the way home, since we were eating dinner in Tacoma, we swung back up to I-90 to go home.  Since I drove there, my wife volunteered to drive home...and folks, conditions were miserable.  Very heave rain the whole way, and me being a crappy, back-seat driver in the passenger seat.  I offered to drive a few times, but she wouldn't let me...I have a horrible time staying awake driving, and driving into a pouring, monotonous pounding, rain, was a tailor made head bobbing situation. 

We had left the house at 9:45 in the morning, and got home at 1:15 the next morning...that was a long day trip.  If I have my way we won't do it again...not that we won't visit my dad...but I will make sure have something else planned that can justify spending the night over there, instead of a 500 mile round trip in one day. 

Now, we wasted a whole Sunday, sleeping in, going to breakfast at Sterlings, then snuggling on the couch watching Dr. Who, before cooking venison sirloin steaks for dinner. 

I wish I could waste every Sunday this way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment