Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

5.07.2011

Was hoping to be tempted.

I'm not a big gun show guy.  Truth be told, today was the first time I have actually been to one.  I'm not a big crowd guy, but with the family out of town, and nothing else pressing on my schedule, I figured Why Not?

It was amazing!  There were stacks and stacks of POOP!!!!!!!

Okay, it wasn't that bad, but I never seen so many worn out .22 pump guns in one location in my life(probably because I've never been to a bigger gun show).  There were also a fair number of old, excessively rattling shotguns.

Part of the reason for the lack of 'blown away' I was feeling could be that I was looking for a few specific things.  I was looking for a PTR-91, a PMR-30, or a .22 conversion kit for my CZ.  I was also willing to look at stainless 1911's if any caught my eye. 

I wasn't just looking to buy just  'any new gun'.  If I was, I could have spent the money I brought, and walked out happy.  One guy had a nice looking CZ-75 for $550.  Going off the 2 is 1, 1 is None principle, I could have made room in the house for another CZ.  There were NO PTR-91's, and there was not a chance in Hades I was going to pay the $800 being asked for the only two Century Arms G3's I saw for sale.  They were on two separate tables, so the guys must have gotten together before the show to agree on a price to see how crazy folks were. 

While there were no Kadet Conversion kits, I was tempted by an EAA Witness someone had. It was a .45, but it came with a .22 conversion kit also...can't remember the exact price, but it was less than $500.  It just didn't feel good in my hand.  The same guy had a Kel-Tec Sub 2000, but it was in .40 and not 9mm.  If it had been in 9mm, I would have been highly tempted.  I can think of less useful things to keep in the truck than a 9mm SUB 2000 with a couple of big glock magazines.  The only other 9mm Carbine on site was a beat up looking Marlin Camp Carbine.  Wasn't impressed.

None of the things above really tempted me though...not enough to make me feel self-sacrificing anyway.  On my last swing through the place, I found two Garands...but they were both the new .308's.  Then I saw the only thing that actually had me check my pocket to see if my money was still there...it was something I had heard of before, but never seen in person.



A Beretta BM-62, the sporter version of the BM-59 that Italy was making after WWII.  What an interesting cross between an M1 and an M1A.  Chamber in .308, using M-14 magazines.  The gentleman was asking $795, which seems a fair price compared to what little I have been able to find on the internet machine.  The price point had me tempted...it was cheaper than both the LR-308 and the PTR-91 I have been interested in....but...I couldn't see my wife like it.  Compared to the two other choices, this thing was a boat anchor.  I can not see my wife throwing it to her shoulder and blazing away. 

While I don't expect her to like/use every gun that we will ever own, it does make a man's life easier if his wife also enjoys the toys he brings home.

No comments:

Post a Comment