Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

5.05.2011

Drink-Oh de Mayo.

Growing up in New England, we really didn't know anything about Cinco de mayo.  I'm not sure if it was the minimal Hispanic population, or more the puritan mores that still rule in much of New England, meaning a holiday meant mostly for drinking would be frowned upon. 

To our family, the 5th of May was already a special day...it's my Mom's Birthday! 

I remember the first time we went out to dinner for my mom's birthday after we moved to Washington.  We had NO reason to expect the restaurants to be as crowded as they were when my mom wanted to go to her favorite Mexican place. 

Each year Cinco de Mayo seems to be bigger than the year before, but I tend to lump it in with New Years Eve and St. Patricks Day under the file 'Amateurs Night.'  Even during my rowdy 'single sailor' days, I avoided these events like the plaque. 

Too many cops out looking to bust law-abiding young sailors such as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment