Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

5.24.2011

Gunsmithing isn't my strong suit...

Got home today to find out that the package of stuff I ordered from Midway on my birthday had shown up.  Yay!

Big time confession...not only is gunsmithing not my strong suit, I'm not very good with my hands in general.  Oh, I'm not a total nightmare...during my time in the Navy I found that with sufficient practice and DETAILED procedures, I was actually a pretty fair mechanic.  The theory was always pretty easy for me...it was making the sausages on my hands do what I wanted them to do that was tough.

I decided to start easy.  It doesn't come much easier than swapping out grips on a pistol.  Two screws, and Victory!  Had a new set of cocobolo grips on my CZ-75.  They're nice.


Next, it was time for a challenge.  Replacing the stock and forearm on my Saiga with a TAPCO forearm and collapsible stock/pistol grip.  This wouldn't have been a challenge, IF the battery on my drill was charged for drilling the pilot holes, and IF I was able to locate the 6-inch extension for my socket wrench.

Eventually though, despite my own efforts, I achieved victory.

Before: 



After:

I like it much better now...next I think I need to look at a scope mount, maybe try to through a red dot on it.

And that was my final project for the night...mounting a weaver rail and red dot scope on our Ruger 10-22.  No pictures of that...just imagine a walnut stocked 10-22 with a TASCO Red Dot on it.

Can't wait to get to the range again.



No comments:

Post a Comment