Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

5.31.2011

The same, but different.

One last reflection upon my 'family weekend' before moving on with my life and getting back to the 'real world' of impending election year politics. 

I am amazed at how my daughters, with the same genetic background and similar upbringings, can be so different. 

The way they spent their time at the camp this weekend drove it home.  My younger daughter engaged in the active pursuits...playing soccer, running around with other kids...climbing the rock wall part of the play set. 

Bella, my older one, is a much more internal child.  My wife calls her sensitive.  She can get on the play ground and play with other kids, but she isn't a risk taker.  She would prefer to sit and read a book or do sidewalk chalk to jumping on the zip line they had at camp.

The zip line was a neat experience for Maureen.  It's not a huge one...probably 100-120 feet long, with an average height 10-12 feet over the ground.  Since my daughter was interested in using it, I volunteered to help run it.  With 10 minutes of training, I suiting youngin's up in their harnesses and helping to clip them into the zip line.  That was a the scariest part to me...knowing this kid was going to through themselves off a 15-foot platform with only the harness I strapped them in to keep them from bouncing off the ground. 

Maureen was the youngest kid to try it...granted, the first time, I had to kind of nudge her off, but after a half-second of panic she decided to enjoy it.  She couldn't wait to go a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th time. 

Bella didn't like the zip line.  She went to the top, she put on a harness, and couldn't bring herself to step off.  I can't blame her...I'm not a big heights guy.  Down the ladder she went, very, very upset with herself.  I've been there...disappointment at not being to measure up to expectations.  Plus, she was bummed because it meant I spent time with Maureen, and not with her.

To make it up to her, the next day we had about an hour to kill before lunch, so I offered to take Bella for a little hike in the woods.  There was a cute little stream behind our cavern so we followed that.


After a few minutes, we swung up over a hill with a clearing, and sat to just look around.  Along the way, we had passed a sign for 'Chapel Rock'.  Bella asked me what that meant, so I took it as an opportunity to pass a round a bit of my philosophy. 

I told her that some people feel closest to God inside a church, but that some people(like her father) felt closest to God sitting on hill, or a rock, or a stump, listening to the wind, a babbling creek, and enjoying nature.  I think some of it sunk in.

We sat together in the little clearing just looking around for a few minutes...which is something Maureen would not have been able to do.  For her to sit still, and quiet for about 15 seconds is an accomplishment....which goes to prove what I am saying...both girls have their own strengths and weaknesses. 



As long as they stay not just sisters, but friends, I think they will be able to balance each other out.  The trick is going to be directing them back to the center...keeping the extreme portions of their personalities from taking over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment