Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

5.08.2011

Range trip!

Went to the range this morning with one of my buddies from work, and it was my first trip to the Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility since joining the Tri-Cities Shooting Association. 

It's a very nice facility, and getting better as volunteer labor is available for improvements.  Today I used the Rose-Iris Public Range, and the .22 Plinking Range.  Separate from these ranges there is skeet and trap, an old west themed Cowboy Shooting Facility, a Practical Pistol facility, and a 1000-yard high power range. 

There are no pictures of targets to be shown, although the one of the range officers DID complement me on the groups I was getting out of my Marlin 1894.  That little 16-inch barreled lever-action .357 continues to be the favorite gun I own.  The RO was jealous of mine...he said he had been looking to pick one up, but couldn't find the 16-inch barrel option anymore, and he was going to be forced to console himself with the stainless 18.5 barrel.  I'm sure he'll survive.

My other challenge today was getting my AR on paper.  This was my first trip to the range with the carbine upper on, and that gun was WAY off.  Took me about 30 rounds to get it some what zeroed in at 50 yards.  After that it was a blast...but still not quite as light and handy as my Marlin.

The plinking range is a hoot and a hollar all rolled up into one.  There's about 4 different tiers of spinners and other reactive targets, and it was flat out a blast.  I really can't wait to get a chance to bring my wife there...I could probably leave her on the plinking range for an hour while I go play with the bigger stuff.  Supposedly, on of the plans for the future is a slightly more manly pistol caliber plinking range. 

I would gladly sacrifice one of my weekends to lend my strong back and weak mind to that project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment