Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

5.07.2011

Flying Solo

After last weekend, during which I did many pleasant 'family' things(including our trip to Palouse Falls, which I haven't blogged about yet, but SWMBO did) this weekends theme is a little bit different.

With my moms birthday being last Thursday, and Mothers Day being this weekend, my wife thought that the proper thing to do would be to pay The World's Greatest Nana a visit.  Great idea.  From a realistic 'loading the car, actually making it to the freeway, making child(or adult) related rest stops, and pulling into her driveway' it's about 4-4.5 hours from here to my moms.  As gas increases in price, it's approaching the point where the round trip is about $100, even in the wife's Subaru. 

Here is where many would accuse me of being a cold fish.  With those stated logistics, I didn't necessarily think it made sense for us to hop in the car, drive to my moms and visit Saturday afternoon and evening, then turn back around Sunday to come home.  More than the price of gas, is the effect that a trip like that has on our girls.

I would be willing to wager that my children handle the 4-hour time frame car ride better than 90% of the rest of the children out there...especially when you throw in that we don't have a mini-van/SUV with a mobile entertainment center.  My kids entertain themselves with books, singing along with the radio, and telling stories 'in the round' in the car.  Sleep in the car is a last resort for them, as it is for my wife.   Me?  Heck...I fall asleep driving.

All this combined to have me say that with this being my normal two-day weekend, it might not make sense for us to all go visit my mom, but if my wife wanted to go spend a 2 or 3 nights over the weekend, that would make more sense. So...being a kick-ass wife/daughter-in-law, she did.  She left Friday afternoon, and will head back over Monday morning, meaning I am on my own for the weekend.

No tears...although, coming home after work Friday to no hugs and kisses was a bummer...I have PLANS for the weekend.  At 9am this morning, there is a Gun Show at the TRAC Center in Pasco.  I have no idea how big it is, having never gone...but I will go find out.  Then, I might go so Thor...although it is getting pretty good reviews, so I might just wait to see it with my wife.  Sunday morning, I am going shooting.  I got my membership card to The Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility like two months ago, and have yet to use it. 

Following all that, there will be some cleaning, and I guess some laundry.

Boredom is not likely to be a concern, although I am sure that at sometime on Sunday afternoon, loneliness might be.  Sniff, Sniff.

Now to do some price research on a few things, so I know if it's a 'good deal' or not at the gun show.

No comments:

Post a Comment