Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)



In an effort to keep providing the chickens with fresh(cost efficient) growing things over the winter, I've started getting into sprouting.  So far I have tried three different things with various results:

1. Whole oat groats, which did poor, poor, poor. Only done one batch so far...will have to try again since I still have half a pound of them to play with.

2. Lentils.  Have made two successful batches so far...and they have done 'okay.'  We have um...plenty of them in the house, and it's a good excuse to rotate some older bags out.

3.  Clover seed.  I went to the local health food store looking for things to sprout, and while they have a generic 'salad/sandwich sprouting mix', it was right around $15 a pound, but I noticed it appeared to be made up of roughly 50% clover seeds by volume, and clover seeds by themselves were only $6 a pound...so I got all kinds of cheap, and bought half a pound to see how they did.

They did OUTSTANDING.  This is my 2nd batch, which the birds will get tomorrow.

Almost 2/3rd of a quart from 2 table spoons of seeds.  Not too shabby.  And they don't taste bad either...I grabbed a pinch of the first batch last week.

Next week, I'll look for a few other things to try.  We have many different types of beans around the house...I'm sure I can try a few different kinds of them, for some variety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment