Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

6.18.2012

That's a good gift.

Fathers Day started just like each of the last 5 days...alone.  My wife hadn't planned on coming back from the Seattle Burb's until Sunday, so there was no breakfast in bed for me today. 

Who am I kidding though...I don't think there has been a day in the last 10 years that I haven't been the first one out of bed...although a good morning hug would have been nice.

Instead, I spent the morning tidying up the garage and cleaning the kitchen, and watching the clock, waiting for everyone to come home.

It being Fathers Day, I got to pick what was going to be for dinner...and since I can eat breakfast 3 meals a day, yesterday I had picked up some nice sweet raisin bread(kind of like a challah bread with raisins in it) to make french toast.  That would also allow me to spend the afternoon just chilling with my family instead of slaving in the kitchen once they finally got home. 

Get home they did...and boy was I glad to see them.  5 days is a long time with no family. 

A pretty huge part of being a father is supporting my family. Often times that means having to do things I don't want to do, like spend 7 months in New York working for the Shipyard.  Never having to do something like that again is one of the reasons I work where I do now...even thought it is far from perfect. 

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that I need them to support me just as much as I support them.  If I was alone, there is no way I would keep working at this job.  My 'battery' needs a constant recharging of hugs, kisses and love...the assurance that what I am doing is for a reason. 

Last night, the smiles at dinner were that reason...and today, when I get home from work, there will be hugs and kisses waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment