Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

10.26.2010

Ranch and Home

Got out of training today, and rather than go look at tumbleweeds blow through empty farmers fields like I did yesterday, while pretending that counts as hunting, I decided to take some time to get ready for the opening day of Elk season, which is this Saturday.  Typically, I take about 7 days off for elk hunting...I head out on Thursday to help my buddy set up camp, we sleep in and do some shooting and a little scouting Friday, and then I commit fairly thoroughly to hunting Saturday-Wednesday, or even Thursday, before heading home to have a relaxing three day weekend with the family before reporting back to work, so I can fly to New York for 7 months.(sorry...that was just last year).

This year, due to the whole 'starting a new job and not having earned any time off yet' thing, I am heading over after work Thursday(or maybe Friday morning), then hunting Sat/Sun before heading back to the Tri-Cities Sunday night.  The shorter drive to our hunting area in Naches makes this less of a chore.  It does mean I am sacrificing driving back to Belfair to see my wife and kids this weekend.  Which makes it doubly and triply nice that my wife drove out here last weekend, and is thinking of doing it again the first weekend in November, so I won't have to go three weeks without seeing my favorite three girls.  

Anyway...since I am usually going hunting for a week or so, I go loaded pretty heavy for clothes...figuring  less showers cancels out with more clean undies.  This time though, since I am only going up for about 2.5 days, I am less prepared than I should be...I feel kind of like I am going to be heading down the road with nothing more than a spare pair of underwear in my back-pocket if I don't get on the planning. 

One of the things I am lacking is a water-proof coat.  The past two years, I had a nice, light, water-proof camouflage outer shell layer. Well, last year in my rush to get to New York, I left it in my old Ford Ranger, still somewhat damp...and the resulting science experiment caused me to get rid of my nice coat.  Today I hit up Ranch and Home in Kennewick looking for a new coat. 

It was my first time going to Ranch and Home...nice store...part hard ware, part sporting goods...plenty of shoes, clothes and work wear.  I found exactly the coat I was looking for...the same coat I had to throw away!  Minus the fungus.  Water Proof is a must hunting in Washington, and I like the fact that is light, because I would prefer to layer up underneath instead of just having a bulky out-layer. 

I also picked up a new pair of work boots while I was there...my company covers up to $150 for boots, once a year, so I picked up a nice pair...Converse work boots?  Why thank you very much: 


I like the composite safety toe instead of steel...lighter, and hopefully won't pass the cold straight through on winter days around here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment