Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

10.11.2010

Monday's

Had a day full of training today.  Not very interesting training.  Theoretically, the topic of the training was 'On-the Job' Training, and on 'On-the-Job' Evaluation.  I was unaware that ANYONE wouldn't know about these things.  I tend to forget though that I am now in a situation where there are kids walking right in off the street.

To me, it was all stuff I had done in my previous life as a sailor...walking people though hands on plant ops, then signing qualification cards...even down to the same initials for 'Discuss', 'Observe', 'Simulate', and 'Perform.'  To make things better, the guy teaching the class was a former nuke submariner(Electrician...no one is perfect). 

A positive of some of our training is it is contracted out....for instance, everyone that works at Hanford, regardless of which contractor they work for, goes to the same training, saving the expense of each company having their individual training divisions.  Why is that  a positive?  Well, the training site is located right out-side of town instead of 20-minutes outside of town.  Meaning I didn't have to pack lunch...I could check out some local cuisine instead, and start working on finding a new favorite restaurant. 

Today it was Brick House Pizza, and I'm here to tell you, it was a pleasing lunch.  I can not as yet vouch for their pizza, but their toasted sub sandwich was good.  Lunch deal was for a 6" sub, a bowl of salad, bag of chips and soda...$11 with tax.  It was a filling 6" sub.  Not a grinder, but nice toasted bread, turkey, pastrami...shredded lettuce, melted american cheese...num, num, num.  They also had about 12-13 beers on tap.  Being on a lunch break from work, I choose to be a good boy and not have beer with my lunch.  Since they had Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewing, it was a big sacrifice, but I did it.  There will be other times.

I also didn't feel the need to increase my chance of dozing off in training...still new enough I need to make a good impression.

After work, I was also close enough to town that I was able to swing through a few more apartments complexes to look at the options available to us.  All I really learned is that the females working at $750/month apartments DO NOT look the same as the young ladies who work at $1050/month apartment complexes. 

There is probably a lesson to be learned here, but my initial theory's on the subject would be labeled misogynistic, so doubtless more meditation is needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment