Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

5.26.2014

Not sure I can improve.

It's Memorial Day.  Last year, I put up what I believe to be a good post, looking to the actual meaning behind the poem 'In Flanders Field', showing that it is not as anti-war as some folks would have you think. 

It all comes down to the final stanza for me...and while last year, I thought it was about Supporting the Cause(kind of a 'next man up) feeling...I'm seeing more now.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
      


Those last few lines...it's about more than just carrying on...it's about 'making it worthwhile'.  Kind of the sentiment that Tom Hanks is trying to get across at the end of Saving Private Ryan when he pulls Matt Damon's character in close and tells him " Earn This".  Make the sacrifice worthwhile...justify my sacrifice.

I'm not 100% certain I am doing that everyday.  Hell...that's lying.  I am 100% certain I am NOT doing that Everyday.  I'm not even 50% certain I am doing it 50% of days.  I'm not sure what I could do to be worthy of that sacrifice.  I try to live a good life.  When I can(when it doesn't hurt to much, again, let's be honest here), I help others with less than me.  I'm not as active into charity or politics as I could be. 

I do do what I can everyday to make my wife and kids smile. 

I hope that, AND saying thank you, is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment