Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

9.29.2013

Two for Two.

On my way through the town of Pomeroy at 5AM yesterday morning, a nice looking 4 point buck chased a 2 pointer across Main Street, and two does were following so close behind them I thought I was going to fill my doe tag with the grill of my truck. 

It looked like that was going to the story of my day...deer in places I couldn't shoot them. 

The Mayview GMU is all farm land.  Roughly a quarter of it is locked up by Deadman Creek Outfitters, a guide service/private hunting club.  The remainder is split up equally between land being posted no hunting, not posted/hunting by written permission(I group these the same), and then about 10,000 acres being posted 'feel free' to hunt.

Eastern Washington farm country is a little different than the flat squares farmed in the mid-west...it's fully of draws and ravines...the folks around Walla Walla are experts at hill side farming.  Last year, I found a couple of nice looking draws on one of the 'feel free to hunt' farms, and actually jumped a couple of bucks in one of them.  I hunted that same area yesterday, coming up empty in the morning and afternoon, while seeing over 30 deer dancing on the other side of fences I didn't risk shooting over on my way into and out of town.

Persistence paid off though, and as I headed back into that same tired draw in the afternoon, I saw a pair of ears sticking up over a hill side.  I sat right down, and waited, doing my best 'I'm a clump of weeds' impression.  I didn't see her running back up the hill, and after about 10 minutes I started to loose hope...but then I saw her starting come out of the draw about 80 yards away, right on one of the major game trails.  I almost took the shot then, but she kind of stopped, and drifted back down the trail in my direction.  For 15 minutes, she drifted down the trail in my direction, finally hitting the point of closest approach at about 40 yards.

1 comment:

  1. The damn things are a menace. I hit one with the Jeep in Concord Mass a few years back. Nobody hunts anymore, and so you get big bucks in town. And they attract coyotes.

    ReplyDelete