Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

9.14.2013

Feels pretty accurate

I try not to just post pictures of stuff I find on facebook, but in this case, I saw this cartoon and, yeah...I thought it pretty much nailed it.


I've had talks at work before with some of the guys I work with, because they will sometimes come back from training saying that our trainers contradicted themselves again, and now we have conflicting directions on what to do during casualties. Used to be you were trained to through yourself on the grenade...do what you could to stop the problem from getting worse...but increasingly, we are telling folks to run away, and wait for the fire department to respond.  I have folks who don't like that, and I don't either.  I guess it comes from my submarine background where there was no running away, so you did what you could to keep things from getting worse.  So...what I tell my guys, is do what you think you need to and can do to help you sleep at night.  Whatever choice you make, and whatever actions you take, someone will second guess you after the fact...so do what you need to do to be able to defend your actions with a clear conscience. 

This cartoon just drives home to me that that isn't just a philosophy for work.  Truthfully, whatever position you take, and however you live your life, chances are somewhere between 25-50% of people out there are going to step-up and tell you why you are wrong...so just do what you feel you need to do to be able to sleep at night. 

Good advise from a guy that failed awake at 3:30 on this Saturday morning. 

1 comment:

  1. *laughs*

    Only if you let them tell you what to do. Damned ankle biters. Chastising them for being fools and you rarely get called upon for change. Though, if I am going wrong I don't mind an ounce. Best be legitimate though.

    You were on subs, too, right? As the captain of your own ship, you give orders. But a good man won't take a wrong order, either, and their will be feed back. Think of it as you being captain and having to... screen the feedback. Good feedback gets rewarded. Bad? Circular file, along with the source most likely. Send em' top side, they handle that well.

    I don't know what to do about politicians who shouldn't captain their own bathtub floaty boat toy though. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete