Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

9.15.2013

Portlandia

While looking for the next 'Netflix distraction', one of the shows that popped up on 'you might like' radar is Portlandia. 

If you haven't seen it yet, Portlandia is a 'satirical sketch comedy', set in Portland(Oregon, not Maine), and the main theme of the show is how strange Portland and it's residents are. 

I don't know how much I like it, yet.  We have watched four or five episodes, and there have been more than a fair number of laughs, but they have been offset by almost an equal number of times when my wife and I have looked at each other and said 'hunh?'

I've been to Portland, and it is strange. I mean...the Northwest as a whole has more than its share of  weird and strange folks.  My wife is pretty plugged into the homeschooling and 'organic/gluten free/farm to table' groups, and I have met some of the people they play on this show.  They are fun to make fun of, I'm just not sure how often you can go to the same well.

The two primary actors do a good job, with some real chameleon skills.  One of them, Fred Armisen is a SNL veteran, and with Lorne Michaels as the Executive Producer, they have an impressive array of guest stars: Jeff Goldblum, Steve Buscemi, Martina Navratilova, Eddie Vedder and Selma Blair just to name a few. 

I was worried that I might not be finding it funny because it was hitting too close to home...but so far, that hasn't been a problem...no poking at libertarian preppers yet. 

All in all, it's not a bad show...just uneven so far.  It's not as good as Pacific Northwest Classic 'Almost Live', or a few other shows we have to work through still on Netflix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment