Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

10.14.2012

Man, they were good.

One of the things about spending the better part of the last two weeks hunting is that I have kind of been living without my computer, but I do have the Droid 4 to play with...which would be cool, if you got 3G service(let alone 4G) EVERYWHERE.  But you don't. 

That means I was left to deal with what was on my phone for the most part.  Since I've only had the new phone for a few weeks, the selection was limited...like two games and I think 76 songs that I had managed to load onto the phone.  Among those 76 songs, is the complete CD of Wide Open Spaces, by the Dixie Chicks. 

I can still remember the first time I saw a Dixie Chicks video.  It would have been 1997, and I was staying in the barracks in Kings Bay, Georgia.  Our boat had pulled in for a few days, and since some of the crew was hot-racking, we also had a few transient barracks rooms available.  The one I was staying in had cable, and at one point, they showed the 'Grand Preview' of the first song by a new band, the Dixie Chicks. 

I was blown away. Those girls could sing melody AND harmony...and it didn't hurt that Natalie Maines was as cute as a button.



Time would prove that they were more than just a collection of pretty faces.  It's been a while since I listened to the whole original CD, but man, semi-stupid political statements aside, those girls could sing.  It wasn't just poppy stuff either...one of my favorite songs by them is 'When you were mine', which is a crappy song to listen to when you are spending 10+ hours a day sitting on a hill side, thinking, because there aren't any elk to watch. 




No comments:

Post a Comment