Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

11.02.2010

Sad

Even though it appears that Republicans have taken back a majority in the House of Reps, politics is making me sad, so lets focus on something that will make me happier!  even more sad, but it goes to show there are many sad making things on the internet.

 In celebrity gossip news, Demi Lovato has quit touring with the Jonas Brother to seek medical assistance(DON'T CALL IT REHAB!) for 'emotional and physical issues she has dealt with for some time'


Yeah, I didn't think I would have to resort to the Jonas Brothers in this blog either...but the point of this isn't the Jonas Brothers...it's Demi Lovato.  If you don't know who she is(and there is really no reason you should), she is one of those girls selected by the Disney Company to star is some of their movies, and build a brand around her.  In Demi's case, her big break came in the 'Camp Rock' movies, which I have not seen.  She has parleyed this into teeny-bopper music career, and was on tour opening for fellow Disney Product, the Jonas Brothers.


Now we get to the really sad part...apparently, Demi has been battling eating disorders and cutting problems for a while...which terrifies me, because, the girl young lady in question is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!!!!



I can't even begin to fathom what kind of pressures can make a girl this pretty, this talented(in the interest of research, I watched a song or two on youtube...she doesn't have Christina's pipes, but she's better than Ke$ha), have eating disorders or want to cut herself.   She is in a position to get more out of life than 99.9% of the population will ever get to.  Which makes me ask...is it really that much stress getting followed around by paparazzi?  How much can it damage the psyche of a 17-year old girl to have US Magazine critique what you decided to wear to the Kids Choice Awards? 

What kind of parent would do that to their kid?

Then again, what parent wouldn't?  Isn't it every parents dream to have their child be rich and famous?  Someday maybe...heck, I do!

I have very beautiful daughters.  They might even be talented someday.  A few years ago, a talent agency was doing open casting calls in the Seattle area, and I was trying to convince my wife that maybe it would be something interesting to do with our girls.  Disregard the fact that this particular 'open call' was most likely just  a ploy by some agency or another to get you to agree on taking $500 worth of pictures with THEIR photographers for a portfolio, or some such nonsense.  There were plenty of reputable, non-advertising in the paper places we could have brought the girls for an honest opinion. 

SWMBO was less excited than me.  While not telling me NO, she demurred on a yes.  Eventually, I kind of let it go.  But, occasionally, when I look at the younger daughters curly hair, blue eyes and dimples...I am tempted.  It would be OUTSTANDING to have her be able to pay her own way to college.  And her sisters way also.  But...if the result is having to go for professional help at age 18 because you don't feel good about yourself, when as in the case of Demi Lovato(and as I am CERTAIN will be the case with my girls), you are so darn close to physical perfection is hurts? 

Maybe teenage girls just aren't up for that level of stress, and I am better off doing what I can to raise them to be well-adjusted, intelligent, hunting awesome young ladies, who marry a rich football player instead. 

There is more than one way to fund daddy's retirement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment