Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

11.25.2010

Love to eat turkey, yes I do...want to eat turkey in my big brown shoe.

Well, it's 5:45 on Thanksgiving evening, which means like most of the rest of the population, I am sitting around slogging ever onward, bored out of my skull, fighting off one heck of a food coma. 

Since I'm on the west coast, the traditional two football games are long over, and since I am at my moms, we don't get that new fangled Thursday night game which is broadcast only on the NFL network.  SWMBO and my mom have headed out to Michaels to do some shopping, as Thanksgiving night sales are taking the place of Black Friday sales, although, my wife and mom tell me that they are currently PLANNING to go hit Kohls at 3am, and then Target at 4am.  We'll see...I think it might be a case of the spirit is willing, but the flesh wants to hit the snooze alarm.

I am home with the girls(bouncing off the walls on the heels of a nana provided Apple AND Pumpkin Pie fueled sugar rush).  My brother(whose story we may explore at some point) is sitting on the couch, watching Man vs. Food, which is a good marathon to play on Thanksgiving, because we all can sympathize with how he Adam must feel on a day like today.  The episode on right now he has just started eating his 29th catfish fillet to take the catfish fillet title at some place in Oklahoma.  The location is unimportant...what is important is my curiosity about how the Travel Channels Doctors and Lawyers have worded his contract.  Half-way through the 2nd season, Adam appears to have put on at least 40 pounds.  He seems like a cool guy...just curious about his employers liability when he drops dead of a major heart attack in the middle of eating a 5 pound hamburger. 

I guess, this being Thanksgiving, I should be going off ad nauseum about the things that I am Thankful for.  I mean, it's what all the cool kids are doing. 

On the other hand, to prove what an amazingly bitter guy I am, I could go on and on about the things I am not Thankful for. 

I do that all the time around here...no reason to do anything special today...because really...it's not that special of a day.  More than anything, Thanksgiving is an excuse to do things.  Good things like spend time with family, and reflect upon how blessed most of us are on a day to day basis...and bad things, like drink beer at 9:30 AM while watching the Patriots beat the Lions, and eat 6000 calories?  At least?

Recognizing that...I hope over the next year to do more of the good things, without needing an excuse, and less of the bad things...no matter what justification the calender provides for me. 

I hope everyone else out there had a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment