Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

11.11.2010

Long day

Woke up at 5AM this morning, went in to work for a while, then headed out from work at about 1:30ish for my 'New Hire' physical, only about 7 weeks after being hired.  The clinic was much better run and less chaotic than the one at the Shipyard...and on the average, I would say the staff was younger and more aesthetically pleasing than at the Shipyard...which is why we all go to the doctors.

Not a very comprehensive physical...they did take a few baseline x-rays of my massive manly chest, and in general seemed much more interested in obtaining data to someday refute chemical exposure(asbestos, mercury and beryllium) than anything else.  They listened to my lungs, checked my eyes, checked my lung capacity and pronounced me medically fit to wear a respirator.  They didn't even ask me to turn my head and cough!

Then it was on the road back to Belfair.  Made pretty good time...between Ellensburg and Cle Elum, I passed a guy driving a Mazda with a personalized license plate that said 'ZZOOMM'.  If your license plate says that, I should NOT catch up to you on the straight, made for speeding road between Ellensburg and Cle Elum.

Only real hick-up was about a ten mile stretch at the top of the pass, where it was snowing.  The road was bare, but anyone with experience driving into blowing snow in the dark knows what it is like when all you can see is snow, lit up by your headlights, blowing into your windshield.  I had to slow down to about 55 for a while...even then, I still made home in time to read the girls a bed time story, and help tuck them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment