Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

10.02.2013

Without Remorse

Sad news today from the world of literature(well, at least the world of Techno-Military-Suspense Thrillers), as Tom Clancy passed away last night, at the age of 66. 

Now...I thought he was older than 66.  Over a decade ago, a buddy of mine went to a Tom Clancy book signing, and he said Mr. Clancy had just looked rough even back then.  Much chain smoking and coffee. 

I haven't read most of his later books, and I have read none of the books that use his name as a 'brand'(Op-Center, Net Force), but I think there can be little doubt that few authors have had a 12-year period like Clancy did from 1984(The Hunt for Red October) to 1996(Executive Orders).  I would concede J.K. Rowling, but that is about it.

If I was to really make a list of my 10-favorite books, I think that two of Tom Clancy's would make the cut: 'Red Storm Rising', and 'Without Remorse'.

'Red Storm Rising' is without a doubt, the finest novel written about WWIII that I have had the honor of reading.  If there is one that folks feel is better, please recommend it so I can read it.  Due to the level of detail, I find 'Red Storm Rising' to be infinitely re-readable.

It's not my favorite Clancy book though.  That would be 'Without Remorse', his book that he wrote to fill in the much hinted at back story of one John Clark.  Maybe it's the fantasy aspect of it...the hope that if something horrible ever happened to one of your loved ones, you could do even a quarter as good a job as the former John Kelly at getting your revenge.  Or it could just be it's a really good book.  It's one of those books that could make one hell of a movie, but I almost hope no one tries, because it won't be good enough.

As a side note, Mr. Clancy was also a gun owner, who once gave an interview/tour of his house where he showed off his H&K 94 as a his home defense gun, and showed off his own indoor gun range in his basement. 

R.I.P. Mr. Clancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment