Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

6.30.2013

My kind of scouting.

Because I'm the type of hunter who applies for tags in areas I've never been to, I threw the family in the car so I could at least go make a quick drive through the Paterson Unit of the Umatilla Wildlife Refuge.  I mean, heck, either sit at home in the A/C, or sit in the car in the A/C. 

There isn't much to the area where my doe tag is good for...it's an area about 3 miles by 2 miles on the banks of the Columbia River that is set up primarily as a bird refuge, that just happens to be overrun by more deer than it can support.  At least, that's what the literature says.  Couldn't tell that yesterday...we didn't see a single deer...but the area looks promising.   Plenty of water, and the refuge is surrounded on three sides by corn fields and apple orchards.  It's just going to be a matter of picking one of the two or three tree lines, and being patient.

While we didn't see any deer, the day wasn't a waste, because there are two wineries in the Paterson area...The Canoe Ridge Estate's, part of Chateau Ste. Michelle and then Columbia-Crest Winery.  I figured I had better go enjoy them now, because I might not be as accepted when I go in all done up for deer hunting.  I can image there are worse things in the world than working at Canoe Ridge Estate's with this view every day:

 
So yeah...we take our kids wine tasting.  Not always...but, I do believe that there are some wineries where it is more acceptable than others.  These two wineries in Paterson are different than the 8 or 9 wineries in Richland, or the 50+ wineries in Walla Walla...those places are destinations unto themselves.  But...the two wineries we went to yesterday are 40 minutes from the nearest gas station.  They have come to expect that people swinging in for a visit are doing something else, and that most of the time, kids are part of the bargin.  In fact, one of the ladies working at Canoe Ridge also works for the Hermiston, Oregon School District, and she spent the whole time visiting with our daughters while her partner poured for my wife and I. 
 

On the other hand, I'm also very proud of the fact that I have kids who behave well enough that I can take them to wineries, and they can stay entertained reading books while my wife and I wander off to the wine.  It makes you want to find excuses to show off that behavior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment