Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

1.12.2011

Scone Cold Psycho

Over the weekend, SWMBO decided she wanted to quiche for dinner Saturday.  I helped in the decision, but as a guy it's not manly to admit that I like quiche also, so it's easier to blame it on my wife.  What does one make with quiche?  Looking down the barrel of a stay at home Saturday, while the wife was out shopping, I decided that something sweet would go with quiche...and that jam on scones sounded tasty. 

I like cooking.  By nature, as a guy, I work best with meat and dinner type things.  Baking has never been my strong point...too regimented.  My cooking hero, Alton Brown, says that baking is much tougher than cooking meals, because it is science, and the ratios are more important.  If I feel like throwing a little extra cumin or garlic powder in while making dinner...it's okay.  Baking though?  While you can mess with the dried cranberries, or chocolate chip amounts, you need to make sure you get the ratios of flour, sugar, fats, proteins and leavening agents right. Boring...and a lot of work with measuring cups and spoons.

Speaking of Alton Brown...I decided to follow his recipe for dried cherry scones.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/scones-recipe/index.html

If you have never followed an Alton Brown recipe, a lot of the time he has somewhat...elaborate techniques.  In this case, for cutting in the fats, he recommends using your fingers to work the butter into the flour.  Seems excessive...but, the result was pretty okay.   The wife was very excited to come home to fresh baked scones, and they went PERFECTLY with the ham and broccoli quiche I made. 

Mr. Domestic strikes again. 

Even worse, I seem to have created a monster...Today when I got home, I made my third batch of scones in the last five days.  Today's batch used up the last of the dried cranberries...now I'm kind of out of excuses to make more this weekend.  Maybe I'll have to substitute chocolate chips to make more a desert type thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment