Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

1.11.2011

National Champions...to some people.

Another college football season has drawn to an end...and once again, I find myself looking at an unsatisfactory final result.  Auburn beat Oregon last night, in an exciting, but somewhat poorly played game.

In case you can't tell, I am not a fan of the BCS system.  I will grudgingly admit that the BCS set-up is slightly less heinous than what we had before the BCS, but not much.  Pre-BCS, there was no guarantee that the number 1 and number 2 rated teams were going to meet.  In fact, to my immediate too lazy to look things up memory...I think Pre-BCS, the #1 and #2 teams played in a bowl game about 15 times...not a very good percentage.  So...the BCS did give us that.

After matching up the #1 and #2 teams...the BCS promised nothing...other than to make money...there is no agreement to match up 3 and 4, and then 5 and 6 on down the line...they are out to to sell tickets, and keep the 6 Big Conferences happy.  This year, the At Large teams were picked good...Stanford, Ohio State, and of course, TCU deserved to be selected for their games.  UCONN and Virginia tech...not so much...but much like the Sea Hawks, they benefited by playing in conferences having a down year, and you can't blame them for taking advantage of the system.  Their karma balanced out with bad loses to good team in their games.  The Sea Hawks manned up an won their game.

I didn't watch every bowl game(I REFUSE to watch 6-6 and 7-5 teams play each other....too many damn Bowls)...but I watched enough to have an opinion(being a man of strong opinion, I wouldn't have to watch much at all to have an opinion, but that is beside the point).  That sum of that opinion is that NOTHING I saw convinced me that TCU could not play Auburn at least as good as Oregon did.  I'm not saying they would beat them 10 out of 10, or even best 4 of 7...but football has long been the game of Any Given Sunday(or Monday in the case of our National Championship Game). 

Until there is some type of playoff, I will be scornful at the end of most seasons.  Most seasons...last year, I didn't have much doubt that Alabama was the best team in the Nation.  Boise St. also finished undefeated, and I would have liked to see them get a chance to play Alabama, but I would have not bet money on their chances of winning.

There has to be a way to make money off of playoffs.  I don't think 4 teams would be enough...16 would take an extra week, and be tougher to pull off...but 8 teams...three weeks...pretty ideal.  If you can't make the top 8 teams...I don't want to hear you come crying.  But until we get an 8 team playoff...I will be bitter, and award my own National Championship Award.

This year, I award Texas Christian University the 'Good Enough For Me' National Championship.  

For what it's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment