Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

1.27.2011

Book of Eli

Over the weekend my wife and I finally decided to open the netflix envelope that had been sitting around for a couple of weeks or so...and low and behold, we were in possession of Book of Eli, staring Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, and Mila Kunis.

From previously having viewed the trailers and commercials for this movie, I understood that the basic premise was Gary Oldman's character wanted a book that Denzel's character was on possession of, and that Denzel's character kicked butt to keep him from getting it.  Really...that was more than I needed to know.  If Denzel and Gary Oldman were in the same movie even WITHOUT but kicking, I probably would think I would enjoy it.  They are two very good actors, and I can't think of a role either one of them had done where I didn't get into it. 

So, given that, my wife and I really enjoyed the movie.  My wife went as far as to call the movie 'powerful'.  The kicking butt lived up to my expectations.  Then the story was good enough to keep you plugged in, even though MOST of the shooting was done in the first half-hour.  There were two action scenes in the last half of the movie, but upon reflection, the end of the movie was much more character driven than it was action driven.

Denzel Washington plays Eli...a man struggling to survive after TEOTWAWKI who has had voices tell him to retrieve a book, and then bring that book west.  Along the way he encounters numerous ruffians and brigands, who's asses he kicks in a most convincing manner.  But..he is a man on a mission, not just a man out to kick ass.  At one point, he allows a lady to be raped rather than risk himself and his book. 

Eventually, he ends up meeting Gary Oldman.  Gary is trying to rebuild a town on the edge, and is looking for a book that will give him the power to inspire people.  My biggest initial complaint with the movie is that it doesn't take a lot of reach to figure out Gary is looking for A Bible. But that is okay, because in a way, the Bible becomes a Red Herring for the actual 'Surprise Ending'. 

Denzel turns down Gary's offer to be his right hand man, but not before causing Mila Kunis to want to follow his character.  Action, action, and then Denzel is heading west again, with Mila Kunis's character for companionship.  A little more kicking butt occurs, Gary's cronies catch up to Denzel...there is another big fight scene...and then, things change on you. 


Denzel get shot and left for dead, and Gary captures the book, which we learn IS a bible.  Mila is recaptured, and all hope is lost.  Until...Mila breaks back out, and goes back and finds Denzel still heading west despite his injuries. Gary gets back to town where the major plot twist happens...we learn The Bible Denzel was carrying is written in Braille...which means...Gary is screwed.  And Denzel, who has been kicking butt as movie, is...blind? 

At this point, the wife and I had a major discussion.  She felt he was just a guy who happened to know braille along with everything else...I felt he was blind, and just able to kick butt anyway.  Turns out I was right...nah, nah, nah nah. 

Anyway...it was a pretty great movie.  Might be the most I enjoyed Gary Oldman since 5th Element, and the most I liked Denzel since Man on Fire.  If you have seen it, good for you.  If you haven't seen it...

Why'd you let me spoil it for you?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment