Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

1.18.2011

At least get the terminology right...

In a story that has been making the rounds on the internet lately, New York Democratic Representative Carolyn McCarthy has been talking about introducing a bill for a new Assault Weapons Ban limit on full capacity magazines. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20027986-503544.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

As upset as I am about the bill itself being introduced, I really get peeved when EVERY article about the possibility of this bill being introduced interchangeably uses the words 'magazine' and 'clip'. I'm not a gunsmith, but I am a slight bit of a grammar nazi cop...especially in those situations when I KNOW that there is a more correct way of saying something. 

The biggest example of this around the house right now is in my interactions with my daughters, whom desire to fight me on two specific items.

1. Use of the phrase 'have got', even though Grammar Girl on http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/have-got-grammar.aspx states that it is grammatically correct. 

2. My older daughter not correctly using 'I' instead of 'me'.

I mean, obviously, these are both minor issues, especially in light of the fact that we are talking about a 5 year old and an 8 year old who can both tell me the difference between carnivores and herbivores, and assure me that they are neither, but rather they are omnivores.

Dinosaurs are amazing teaching tools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment