Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

1.24.2014

Too rich for my blood.

Today on the way home, I stopped to pick up some beer, and I saw a sign that caught my eye: 

'It's here!  Limited Release Dogfish Head World Wide Stout!  Limit 1 per customer!  Ask staff for details!'

Well...how can I, a sucker for marketing, ignore a pitch like that?  Dutifully, I headed off in search of a staff member, to find out the details.

World Wide Stout is a limited release beer from Dogfish Head Brewing, known for being brewed with a 'remarkable amount of barley', that comes in at around 18% ABV.  If you are willing to buy some and let it age, it will eventually mellow in flavor, and climb to around 25% ABV.  With Dogfish Head originating in Delaware, it already has a long trip to make it to Washington.  Add in the 'limited release' part of the equation, and you end up with something that is not cheap.

How not cheap? 

$14.95 for a 12 ounce bottle. 

Not a 6-pack.  Not a 4-pack.  Not a 40 ounce, and not a 22 ounce bottle.  $15 for a single 12 ounce bottle.

Folks...I blinked.  And then I wilted.  I feel like a guilty member of the 1% when I pay $5 for a 22 ounce bottle of Mocha Death....there was not way I could pay $15 for a single 12 ounce beer. 

The fact is, I'm not sure I can imagine what a beer would have to taste like to be worth $15.  It would help if it was served by Kate Upton...but even then...

Instead, I bought a 6-pack of White Out, by Rocky Coulee Brewing, a smaller place up in Odessa.


Pretty dark for a beer called White Out.  What I like about Rocky Coulee is that unlike a lot of eastern Washington breweries, which play up the hops, since they are brewed where the hops is grown, they play up the wheat and barley...more malt than bitter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment