Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

1.17.2014

Gotta get 'em married sometime...

Over the last few weeks, my wife and I have made a conscious effort to get the girls in the kitchen to help out more. I joke it's because I am trying to train them up so I can get them married, but really...it's just to get them more aware of what it takes to get dinner on the table(besides, when the first one of them moves out, I'm going to be a bawling mess).

This week, we took it to a new step, by looking at my older daughter and asking her 'what are you making for dinner Friday night?'

After a few days to think about it, and look for a recipe, she told me this morning she wanted to make this easy meatloaf recipe.  I kind of stumped her when I asked what she wanted to make with it...she hadn't really been thinking in terms of side dishes, but I bailed her out by pointing to the bag of potatoes that had to be used, and the half-bag of frozen broccoli in the freezer.

We didn't just through her in the kitchen...I supervised, and inspected the bowl for egg shell pieces after we had some slight aggression problems cracking the egg.  I also did the final mixing of the meatloaf, after several attempts to urge the girls to 'get their hands in there and mix.


 
 
Mmmm...more hands, more flavor. 
 
The meatloaf actually came out pretty good.  I was a little worried...I have never really followed a recipe for my meatloaf, just adding things until it felt right, so I was highly suspicious of adding a full cup of milk and a full cup of bread crumbs...but it worked.  Next time, I will have her cut back the milk a bit and add a splash or two of Worcestershire Sauce...give it a bit more zing.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment