Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

1.18.2015

Self-Delusion

Robert Heinlein once wrote: 'Delusions are often functional. A mother’s opinions about her children’s beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.'

Now...I love my kids, and it requires no delusion to enjoy my life with them...but his referencing mom's is just one example of this being a very true statement. 

I don't like onions, and haven't since I was a kid.  Whether it's flavor, or the texture(they make a strange noise when you find one in meatloaf)...I just don't like them. 

However....a lot of recipe's call for them.  A LOT...and there are ways to use them other than dicing them and putting them in meatloaf.  I have been known to use the smallest holes on a box grater to create onion 'pulp' for some applications...get the flavor without the crunch(not a fan of celery either). 

Recently though, I've discovered shallots...and in my mind, because they have cloves, they are closer to garlic than onions!(Even if Wikipedia says differently...sometimes people lie on there).  Now, shallot's have completely replaced onions in my kitchen...and I can even use them diced!

No comments:

Post a Comment