Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

1.14.2015

Next time, just let it go.

Let's say, hypothetically, that while you are reorganizing the freezer, you find a package of venison back strap in the bottom of one of the drawers. 

From the way it is vacuum sealed, you recognize that this venison is not from last season, but rather, the season before, meaning it's been in the freezer...oh...26 months. 

Let's also say that the package is as nicely vacuum sealed as it was when it went into the freezer, and the meat inside shows no signs of freezer burn, and when thawed and opened, it smells like it should smell.

All those things being hypothetically true...and adding in the fact that due to a lack of success hunting last calendar year, there is not going to be any more venison in the house for at least 9 more months...

It's still okay to throw it out.  Take my word for...because I didn't throw it out.  I cooked it, and ate it all myself(because my wife wouldn't let me give it to the kids, because she is smarter than I am). 

I'm not going to go into too much detail....but things were pretty rough in my gut for a day or so.  Is it possible that I got a stomach bug somewhere else, and it's just a coincidence my 'gastric distress' hit 2 hours after I ate 26 month old venison? 

Sure...anything is possible...but next time...I'm going to let it go. 

3 comments:

  1. Coincidence - well, except for the "ate it all myself" factor. ;)

    Scott B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I routinely eat vacuum-sealed meats that are 2-5 years old and haven't had any problems, but none of those meats were wild game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's highly possible it was a coincidence...there have been 'ickys' flying around all winter.

    ReplyDelete