Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

1.28.2015

Maybe there is hope.

Sometimes, in the locker room at the gym, you hear some really strange conversations.  Things like two totally naked men talking about how much getting a new fence installed should cost.  I'm not sure how old you have to be to feel that standing around naked is the right time to have that conversation, but I know that the answer is not 'almost 40', because I don't have conversations while standing around naked.

Any today I heard a couple of young kids having a conversation that somewhat warmed my heart.  At first glance, I thought the kids might have been like 5 years old, but they were probably more like 13-14. 

Kid 1: Did you Obama is going to give us free college! 

Kid 2: That would be cool...college costs like 50K a year!

Kid 3: Yeah, but it's not free.

Kid 1: What do you mean?  It said on the news that it would be free.

Kid 3: It's going to be paid for with taxes...that isn't free.

Kid 2: But I don't pay taxes, so....yeah.

Kid 3: Not now, but you will pay taxes like that someday.

If it wouldn't have been really creepy for a stranger to approach a teenage boy in the locker room and give him a high-five, I would have done so. 

Nice to see that at least some of the younger generation get's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment