Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

12.15.2010

Some guys get all the luck....

So, my boss and his family had a good year out in the field, accounting for 1 elk and 3 deers. He was so lucky in fact, that he had the gall to bitch about how much all the processing costs where going to run him at work one day. Half in jest, I offered to supplement him to the tune of a couple of hundred dollars in return for a fair amount of meat.

Somewhat to my surprise, he agreed, and the deal was done, leaving me to explain to SWMBO what I had done without her permission. That conversation went much better than I had expected, her sole concern being that I was getting a proper cross-section of meat, and not just 40 pounds of jerky. Quickly, I called my boss back to make sure I got more than just jerky.

Earlier this week, my boss ran to go pick up the meat, putting my share in his empty third freezer. With us being in between permanent abodes, we no longer have a large chest freezer, and the small upper freezer in our apartment does not have enough room for most of a deer, AND Ben and Jerry's.

When I asked the wife today what she wanted for her first official meal as a resident of Richland, she answered venison, mashed potatoes and broccoli. I explained to her that I hadn't yet picked up any venison from my bosses house. She told me I had best get on it, and thus directed, did so. My share of the venison came to two full back straps, two tenderloins, a couple of packages of sirloin steaks,about 7 or 8 pounds of jerky, and about 40-50 pounds of ground venison. It was a pretty fair deal with my boss. I can't WAIT to have back strap for dinner tomorrow night.

Meanwhile, I'm just staring at a package of jerky sitting on the counter, willing it to THAW DAMMIT, THAW!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment