Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

12.17.2010

LONGGGGGG Day

I am bushed. Got up, went to work, and after work, met my wife at the new apartment where she was unpacking and organizing. Still a long way to go, but she did get the kids room looking the way she wanted it to, AND let the cable guy in to get our cable and internet hooked up.

Initially, from a frugality point of view, we talked ourselves into not having a land line phone, OR cable. Just live off the computer via netflix and hulu. When I started calling cable companies though, I finally allowed myself to be charmed by a 7 dollar difference between internet, and internet with basic cable. Dug in strong though over the phone line or any expanded cable package. I just know how dangerous the 'it's only 10 dollars more' thought process could get...especially once you start looking at all the fees and taxes that aren't covered as their quoted rate on these deals.

By the way...Basic Cable is VERY BASIC. No ESPN, No discovery, No TLC, no E!(no SOUP!!!!) No History!

Sacrifices must be made...for the wife it means no Lifetime or HGTV. For the kids, it means no Discovery Kids, or Hub, or Cartoon Network.

After assisting with unpacking and moving heavy items, took the wife and kids out for dinner. One of the neat things about moving to a new town is getting to learn new restaurants. Tonight, we chose a place called Apollo's Greek Restaurant. Not sure how authentically Greek they were, but the food was really, really good. More importantly, their pizza and calzones reminded the wife greatly of where she grew up in Connecticut. I guess most of the little family pizza places in eastern Connecticut are run by Greek families, vice the Italian Stereotype that exists in New York. I agree. One of the things I occasionally miss about my time in Connecticut were the great grinders and pizza you could get from the little hole in the wall NON-Chain pizza places.

Then it was back to apartment for some more unpacking, before heading back to my place for a last couple of nights. Tomorrow will be a full day at the new apartment, plus moving things out of my bachelor apartment, like guns, ammo and alcohol.

Hoping to make enough progress Saturday for some guilt free football on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment