Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

12.21.2010

Favorite Christmas Songs #5

As big as my manly hunting, shooting, football watching side is, I have an equally large cry at the end of sad movies and enjoy's Broadway Musicals and the occasional Glee episode side.

Most of my Musical's interest, as befits someone who came of age during the late 70's and 80's, came from Andrew Lloyd Webber shows, and the other big overblown shows the 80's(Miss Saigon, Les Miserables) and not your 'traditional' Gilbert and Sullivan type show. After years of dragging my wife to see Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera and Miss Saigon, I finally let her convince me to go a more 'traditional' show...Mame.

Imagine my surprise when near the end of the first act, they broke into 'We need a little Christmas'. I had NO idea that song had originated from a musical, especially not the one I had agreed to see. I just assumed it was a good Christmas song.

The version of the song typically heard on the radio this time of year is by Percy Faith, who composed and directed it. After some research on youtube, I really think I like Angela Landbury's version better. It might not be a better version overall, but it reminds me more of the musical, and the evening I got to spend with my wife. Tying it to THAT memory gets it its rating on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment