Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

3.07.2011

Buffy

Over the last 5 weeks, my wife and I have powered through most of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series.  I say 'most of' because we have two episodes left.  Last night at about 9:30, we had to make the tough decision of whether we were going to push on and watch the final two episodes, making me all kinds of tired, or we would savor the last two episodes tonight. 

We've been SOOOOOO spoiled...being able to watch 7 seasons worth of a TV series in less than 1 month kicks butt...almost as much butt as Buffy kicks.

I never really watched the series when it was on...I thought I was too old to watch a TV show where the main characters were teenage girls(the fact that the actresses were legal is not relevant).  By the time I was old enough to not care what other people thought of me watching a show with attractive young ladies on it, it was too far along in the show for me to pick it up, so...I watched the end of X-files, instead. 

Buffy always got pretty good press...especially from the 'Firefly'/Joss Whedon crowd.  For the most part, I think it has deserved the good reviews.  It's got a little something for everyone...plenty of action, good writing(you can see the Joss Whedon touch, especially with the Zander, Anya and Spike characters.  For every pretty girl for me to comment on, there was a nice guy to catch my wife's attention...she already had a major case of the hots for David Boeanaz from watching Bones, and as the series developed she came to fall for James Marsters, who played Spike....the very quintessential bad boy. 

Anyway...assuming the final two episodes don't disappoint(which I don't think they will), Buffy ranks up there was one of my favorite 'beginning to end series'.  While there might have been the occasional episode that made the wife and I look at each other and say 'hunh' there was never a stretch that felt weak...never a weak season or a point where things felt like they jumped the shark.   It was one of the first shows on TV with a strong female lead character, and one of(if not THE FIRST) shows that had a gay main character...but for all that, there was a never a point where Willow's orientation felt contrived. 

Even better, about 5 episodes from the end, there is a nice surprise...Captain Mal!  Nathan Fillon putting in an appearance in the same episode with David Boreanaz and James Marsters pretty much made my wife's week. 

Hoorayfor me!

No comments:

Post a Comment