Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

3.17.2011

Amateurs Night

Many moons ago, when I was a younger, less wise man, I was attempting to live my life as Hollywood had led me to believe a single sailor was supposed to live his life...working hard and playing harder.  While I was never an alcoholic, it is likely that during this period of my life that I was drinking more than the average American...or European.  Or fish. 

I was not alone in my pursuit of fun and adventure, and the folks I used to run with(before they also became responsible family men) used to scornfully refer to Saint Patrick's Day, Cinco de Mayo, Mardi Gras, and New Years Eve as Amateurs Night.  In other words, it was when all the non-professional drinkers would end up at the bar, and just get sloppy drunk.  It was also a time when you could count on seeing extra police patrols out, making things more challenging for the folks like me, who we quite able and drinking and driving in a responsible manner.  Staying home and drinking alone was much easier on your car insurance rates.

My opinion of these nights has not changed...even though I would now be considered an Amateur myself.  I am spending my exciting St. Patrick's night at home with my daughters, and while I did have a Guinness with my dinner, and am now drinking a Killian's while I watch Wipe Out, I am WAY more excited by the idea of home-made Corned Beef Hash for breakfast Saturday than I am of the fact that is St. Patrick's Day. 

I never thought getting old would mean I would hate the Irish...

No comments:

Post a Comment