Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

9.30.2010

Where the heart is.

Managed to survive my first week at my new job.  Since I hired in in the middle of the pay period, it meant I only had to survive a 4-day week instead of 5 days.  Says one and two were indoc and general training...very painful.  I can't say I learned much...it was a lot of stuff I had heard before, they just rounded off the corners and re branded it.  I am sure it is the same 99% of places.  Everyone has a sexual harassment policy, everyone knows drugs are bad...that kind of stuff.

Days 3 and 4 I actually got to go to my office and start meeting people.  A lot of people, and, well, the training continued.  The fact is, the training will continue for quite some time...a time that will be easier to measure in 10's of weeks, or a few months before I am dangerous enough to be left on my own.

It's a different type of job than I had in Shipyard...I am still considered a supervisor, but in my new position it seems I am more resource and technical help than actual runner of work.  As an SRCT in the Shipyard, I assigned a name to a coverage position, and assisted that person in making sure they were ready to do their job properly.  For some senior techs, this was easy.  For the newer techs(and some of the senior also) this job could have meant a lot of handholding.

In my new position, I fight for resources, and get the number of bodies to cover what is supposed to be covered in my Area of Responsibility.  Then the lead tech(a position that does not exist in the Shipyard) matches names to jobs, and makes sure the tech covering the job understands his expectations.  I then attend the brief to make sure things sound sane, then make myself available for technical assistance if required, while going to meetings in between.

Different.  Not sure if it's better yet...it will be a long, long time before I can deliver that informed opinion, if ever.

After work today, since Friday is off, I headed west to get back to my wife and kids. Made it home prior to bed time, and was able to read the girls a story and give them kisses.  The kitchen, living room, and bedrooms looked very nice.  SWMBO did a good job of getting them photo ready so we can get pictures taken to put the house on the market.  The family room still needs some help, but we will get it there.

Tomorrow is some lawn mowing, then some errands for me.  Need to get a battery to fit my old Ford Ranger so I can get it out of the yard, and then go find a lawyer to write a power of attorney for SWMBO.  When we bought the house, she wasn't working, so my name is on EVERYTHING.  Getting her a POA should make it so she can actually sign things for the house sale while I am over working.

And I will wake up to get the girls ready for school.  Which means their hair will be unimpressive.  One thing daddy is no good at is little girl hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment