Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

9.28.2010

My failings

After work today(more training...tomorrow I may actually get to see what my job is supposed to be!) went and did a little bit of apartment hunting.  While my friends are kindly letting me stay at their house for now, sooner or later(well, no later than mid-December) SHMBO and the girls will be moving over also.  If the house sells/closes sooner, it will be prior to mid-December, and that would be a GOOD type of panic to have to go through.

Rather than have to rush into buying a house, the Wife and I decided it makes sense to rent an apartment for a few months while we learn the area and wait for the right house to become available.  I am not always able to fully understand everything SHMBO desires(verily, because she is a woman, and I am but a man), but as for me, having decide dot undertake this life path, I want to buy THE HOUSE and THE LAND which will see us unto death.  Or my death...since I am older and men live shorter amounts of time, I have no idea what she has planned for later on, nor do I need to care!  It's just my responsibility to make sure I leave her enough money so she can hire someone to wipe her bottom when she can't reach it.

So, apartment hunting invariably leads to having to talk to people, which is one of my biggest failings.  Not talking to people...often times I can be just as charming and free-flowing with the spoken word as with the written word...in friendly-type situations.  Put me in a shopping/sales situation though...and I get bad.  Shakey.  Very willing to roll over and just take what is offered to make it all stop.  This applies whether it is sales in a store, door-to-door magazine/girl scout cookies, survey takers at the mall EVERY THING.  This gets even worse when the person I am dealing with is female and attractive.  It just so happens that most apartment complex managers know this, and put attractive females into their reception/rental agent positions. 

Minor digression here:  Why does our society ever try to act like looks DO NOT matter?  I understand...tell your children they can be whatever they want to be when they grow up, but also be upfront with them...if you are an attractive member of the human race, things might occasionally be easier for you then if you are an unattractive member of the human race.  I am 100% certain that all of the ladies I dealt with today were fully qualified for the positions they held...I'm just not certain what those qualifications were, other than what I could see...which was enough, because it was 88 degrees here today, and the ladies where wearing short, light and loose(or tight as the article of clothing required.)

The end result of all this is that instead of just picking up brochures and price lists from several apartment complexes, I actually went and toured three 'display' apartments.  And was made sad.  After 6 years in an 1800SF house, a few months in an 850SF apartment is going to be tough.  Almost like being back on a submarine again, except I might actually like the people I am with(low blow...I loved most of the guys I was on the Seawolf with.  Especially when we were in port and away from one another.) 

All I know is tomorrow is supposed to be just as warm, and I am looking forward to more apartment hunting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment