Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

6.08.2011

And THAT is why we always listen to our moms...

A few months ago, I visited the Black Heron Distillery, and did some tasting, and some buying.  One of the things I liked when I tasted it was their huckleberry cordial.  I bought two bottles...one for me, and one for a gift, because it looked like the sort of classy alcoholic beverage you can give for a gift.

When I got home, I was very excited to have my wife try some of the huckleberry cordial...because she is a girl, and girls like fruity, berry stuff.  The only problem was...well, it was pretty strong ju-ju...72 proof, and, when my pallet was totally fresh, I had to admit it was OVERPOWERINGLY sweet...very tough to sip in a cordial glass.  Down trodden, I placed both bottle back in the cabinet, uncertain of how many uses I would find for huckleberry cordial.

One use I did find was as an ingredient in a marinade for deer back-strap.  The sweetness of the liquor perfectly cut the flavor of the venison...it was a perfect leap of genius on my part...and still left me with one and three quarters bottles.

About a month ago, I gave the unopened bottle of classy looking liquor to a classy looking lady...my mom.  Sucker!

Last week, she called and asked if I can pick up two more bottles of the liquor.  Totally blown away that she had not only used her one bottle, but wanted two more(while I still had 2/3rds of a bottle at my place) I asked what she was using it for.

She told me that her friends and her had found out that if you drizzled some of it over a bowl of vanilla ice cream, it was pretty damn okay.

Sunday night, the hottest day of the year so far, we decided to make ice cream sundaes with the girls.  After getting them eating their bowls of whipped cream and sprinkles, I made myself a little bowl that I drizzled some huckleberry cordial over and...yeah, my mom was right...it was pretty okay.

Okay enough that I am now down to less than half a bottle of huckleberry cordial left in the pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment