Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

8.24.2015

Didn't see that coming.

The other day, we emptied all the carrots out of one of 4 X 4 garden beds, and ended up with about 10 pounds of carrots.  I didn't feel like just canning up 'carrots' so I took a look at the Ball Book of Canning and decided to do some End of Garden Pickles, and some Carrot Pepper Salsa.


The carrot pepper salsa is a little misnamed.  It's sweeter, and from tasting it prior to canning, it's more of a relish than a salsa.  It will go good on burgers and dogs. 

The End of Garden pickles, I made as an alternative to the giardiniera I made a few years ago.  I'm thinking I should have just stuck with the giardiniera.  It never dawned on me that the brown sugar you add to the cider vinegar would make it look like the vegetables are in a beef broth instead of a nice pickling brine.  I'm afraid it might be a case where you end up eating with your eyes, and now matter how good they might come out tasting, they are going to look kind of creepy.

We'll find out in a few weeks, I guess. 

1 comment:

  1. just be glad you didn't use purple carrots! I did that last year. By the time you combine the cider vinegar and the sugar and the purple carrots leak their juice......yah, those pickled carrots are still in the pantry, they look weird!

    ReplyDelete