Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

12.31.2010

Happy New Years

Looking back on the last year, I can't even come close to saying it was a bad year.  Yes, I spent the first 6 months of the year working in Saratoga Springs, NY, like 2400 miles from my wife and kids.  But, in the middle of June, after missing my anniversary, my wife's birthday, and my birthday, I made home in time for my daughters 8th birthday.  Score one for the good guys.

Then, after a few months home, I made the pretty major decision to quit my job at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard to take a job with Washington River Protection Solutions, working on the Tank Farms at Hanford.  So, from the end of September until half-way through December I was once again away from my family.  This time though, the distance was only 250 miles, so we were able to see each other every few weeks, and I was able to be home for my younger daughters 5th birthday party and Thanksgiving...so score another one for the good guys. 

While I missed a lot of little things, I got to be home for most of the big things.  Most important, my wife understood WHY I was away, and she proved to me what an amazingly strong woman she was while I was gone.  My children never suffered for love.  My mom, the World's Greatest Nana also deserves a big check mark in the assist category. 

The good news from all this time away is that unlike many, many unlucky people and most levels of governments, our family ended the year on pretty okay financial footing.  If a miracle HAD occurred and our house in Belfair had sold in the last two months of the year, I would be down-right giddy about our financial situation.  And while money isn't everything, it is one less thing to worry about. 

The year ahead is one of transition and uncertainty.  Number one on my wish list is that the house sells quickly.  That would allow wish number 2 to be fulfilled, which is the pain-free purchase of a new house for us here in the early summer, late spring.  From a family view point, I will be with them all this year, with the exception of 2 or 3 weekends I hope to dedicate to hunting in the fall.  The other hope for the new year is that I AM able to capitalize on the increased time with my family to do something other than sit around and watch TV with them.  The opportunities to get out in the outdoors and DO stuff abound on this side of the mountains.  If those opportunities are not taken, I have no one but myself to blame.

Our plans for the night are simple.  We will be taking the kids to one of my buddies houses.  As a precaution against not making it all the way until Midnight, we will watch the East Coast ball drop.  If the kids behave and play nice with the other kids, we will stay as long as we are having a good time.  I have never been big party guy...I hate being useless in the morning the day after. 

Happy New Years, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment