Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

12.14.2010

All Packed Up

Well, at 0810, the movers showed up to start packing everything at the house in Belfair.  The plan was that they pack on Tuesday, load the truck on Wednesday day, and deliver everything at the new place in Richland on Thursday, maybe even Friday depending on travel conditions in the Pass. 

Plan, Schman.  The moving crew got everything packed AND loaded today, but due to the rules on driving distances and such, the things still won't be delivered until Thursday.  That's fine.  My wife said that the crew was very professional, very hardworking, and very nice.  They were also very considerate, leaving the DVD and TV downstairs until the last possible instant so that my daughters could keep watching it downstairs.  I'm sure there was an alternative 'keep the kids out of our hair' motive for this also, but the point is, it was a nice thing to do.

Based on the original plan, my wife had arranged that the girls were going to spend the day Wednesday with Nana, keeping her company, and keeping them out of the moving guys hair.  Due to the speed with which they worked that is no longer necessary, but since Nana had also told the girls they were going to help make cookies that day, and the stuff isn't getting her until Thursday, it sounds like my wife is going to spend the day at my moms relaxing before heading over Thursday afternoon.

This has me pretty excited.  For 3/4's of the last year, I have not lived with my family. 7 months were spent in New York, far from my family, and 2.5 months was spent on the other side of the Cascade Mountains from them.  The fact that all of this was done voluntarily did not make it any easier.  The fact that my wife would not let me have a girlfriend made is still less easy.  The only thing that made it any easier is that I have an amazing wife.  She has done an outstanding job with our daughters and getting the household ready to move.  Me?  Usually the hardest thing I have done is figure out what type of beer to drink with Monday Night Football.

These circumstances also have me a little worried.  Over the last year, we have adjusted to not always being together.  We miss each other greatly, but...what if going to opposite end of the spectrum and then squeezing us into a 2-bedroom apartment for 6 months is too much, too soon.  I had more than one friend whose marriage went through a stressful time when he rotated back to shore duty, or got out of the Navy.  In each situation, Mom had gotten used to ruling the roost, and a readjustment time was required as Dad relearned his place in the family dynamic. 

Luckily, there has never been any doubt about who has ruled our roost from the start.  I don't call her SWMBO for nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment