Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

5.08.2015

V-E

70 years ago today, the end of the 3rd Reich was complete, as German forces officially surrendered  to allied forces in Berlin(they wouldn't surrender to the Soviets until the next day due to their not being an appropriate Soviet official available to accept the surrender). 

From stats I can find, they estimate that roughly 183,000 American's died in the North Africa/European Theater(for comparison, the United Kingdom lost roughly 300,000 in Europe). 

As a Navy guy, I tend to think the War in the Pacific when I think WWII, which is reinforced by my Grand Father's experience in B-29's, but...the war in Europe was not all Patton riding to glory. 

Estimates state that there are less than 1,000,000 WWII vets left(855,000 per the National WWII museum web site).

Makes me want to go cruise through the local restaurants today to see if I can find one to buy them breakfast...

No comments:

Post a Comment