Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

2.04.2015

Glad we never had to have that fight.

A lady my wife knows through one of her homeschooling groups is currently a divorce.  One of the things her husband is holding against her is the fact that they homeschool.  Looking at the prospect of being a single-mom, this lady has made the smart move of enrolling her children in public school...but as my wife explained the results of that process to me...it's possible her soon-to-be ex husband has a point.

After testing, her kids are being enrolled a year to two years behind where they should...for example, her almost 11 year old was plugged into 3rd grade, which is tough, for the kid.  With some digging I got my wife to admit that this lady engages in the technique of 'Unschooling'. 

Grrrrr. 

I am sooooo glad that my wife never once expressed an interest in 'unschooling', because every time I hear the word the hackles on the back of my neck go up.  Done properly, 'unschooling' shouldn't be horrible...basically, you are letting the kids pick subjects that they are interested in, and giving them the time to indulge those interests.  Done improperly it's a complete lack of schooling, the results of which can be very unpretty.

I had enough reservations about homeschooling early on that there was no chance I was ever going to fall for an 'unschooling' plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment